Monday, February 24, 2014

Sylvia Plath is watching me

Perhaps when we find ourselves wanting everything, it is because we are dangerously close to wanting nothing.
- Sylvia Plath
Sylvia Plath.
Writer.
Poet.
Mother.
Lover.
I'll never understand how a woman with such promise
could barricade her own young children in a room
with cookies & milk,
open the window,
place a towel on the bottom of the door,
go to the kitchen,
put her own head in the gas oven,
and turn on the gas...

I guess i'll never understand depression...
She died at the age of 30,
in 1963... 
the year i was born.
I had a hard time with this portrait.
Something in the eyes made me uncomfortable...
I know, it's nuts, right?
it's a black & white photocopy of a photo -
but still...
i felt as though she watched me.
a few pages from this book.
Food for thought,
for all the artists out there.
i love what he says here...
and if I can relate, i KNOW many of you will relate also.
A song for Sylvia...
and for Eva...

11 comments:

  1. Lovely post Pauline! I loved what you did with her photo...the painting has come out really well. Her eyes do emote...a lot! Love her quote and the one that always comes to mind is "placid exterior and turbulent interior"...'haps that sums up why she did what she did! Anyways it's a great loss to the literary world!
    Luv
    Deepa

    ReplyDelete
  2. A beautiful portrait, full of the sadness and questioning of depression, which I have seen on the faces of a friend or two. Even sadder is the fact that one cannot help - only the sufferer can eventually help herself to climb out of the pit, but it can be done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pauline, she looks beautiful! Fantastic work, so inspiring. Wow! Really wow. Thank you for sharing

    http://agagasiniak.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  4. You made her eye more beautiful than they are! Sadly mental illness is so misunderstood...It has such power when it can trump your maternal instincts....so sad! Wonderful work and great pages to read! Check this out http://www.mobiledia.com/news/188186.html


    Hugs Giggles

    ReplyDelete
  5. A lovely rendering of Plath. I enjoyed reading your post and excerpts from the book; those pages hold some familiar thoughts. Looks to be a good book. Thanks for sharing.
    Annabelle : )

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that you always make me think and discover things long after I read you. I love that you are in my World.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hers was such a sad story...she never ceases to fascinate me. I wonder if she had thought that after death there would be nothing and that the life she had was so worth living for
    x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful portrait work as always, and those eyes are mesmerising.

    Thanks for the video too. It's such a beautiful song, and another soul who passed to soon. And now I'll just go and find a tissue to dry my eyes......

    ReplyDelete
  9. A great portrait, Nice to see it's progression.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a beautiful protrait. Lovely work. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete